Nationwide, federal and state brownfields programs are striving to assess, clean up, and redevelop brownfields and vacant properties. However, implementation challenges continue to inhibit the success of these programs, and petroleum brownfields have especially lagged behind their hazardous waste counterparts in terms of the attention received and the degree of revitalization that has taken place. Recent policy developments and initiatives represent the way forward to a world where redeveloped formerly-abandoned and contaminated properties are the anchor for newly revitalized communities.
Through Overcoming Obstacles to the Redevelopment of Petroleum Brownfields and Other Vacant Properties, ELI is collaborating with EPA to educate policymakers on practices and approaches for promoting the cleanup and sustainable redevelopment of petroleum brownfields and other vacant properties. This resource center is dedicated to providing resources for maximizing the effectiveness of brownfield and vacant property redevelopment programs, leading to increased community-driven redevelopment and sustainable redevelopment of vacant properties.
- Resource on partnership among US Department of Housing and Urban Development, US Department of Transportation, and US Environmental Protection Agency, launched in June 2009 to coordinate federal policies, programs, and resources related to housing, development, transportation, and the environment: “Fact Sheet: Partnership for Sustainable Communities: Partnership in Action”
- An outreach tool: “Fact Sheet: Tamiami Trail Petroleum Brownfields Revitalization Initiative: A Collaborative Partnership for Economic Growth”
- Example of performance measures and benefits of area-wide approach: “Green Impact Zone of Missouri”
- Nichols, S. and Diamond, H.J. (2009). “Stimulating Community Health and Wealth: The Opportunities Presented by Petroleum Brownfield and Vacant Property Redevelopment.” ECOS Report.
November 15-16, 2010 — “Colorado Brownfields Conference.” (Golden, CO).
Speaker Bios and Session Descriptions
May 18-19, 2010 — “Overcoming Barriers to the Redevelopment of Petroleum Brownfields and Other Vacant Properties: The Wisconsin Approach.” (Milwaukee, WI).
- Presentations and video
- Workshop report
- Wisconsin Brownfields Assessment
November 1-3, 2009 — “Florida’s 12th Annual Statewide Brownfields Conference: Finding Green in the New Economy.” (Tampa, FL).