The content of this website is subject to copyright protection. Reproduction of the content, or any part of it, other than for educational purposes or personal use, is prohibited without prior consent from the Environmental Law Institute (ELI).
For Reprints and Permissions, please contact The YGS Group at: https://elipermissions.com/ or 800.290.5460.
Permission to reprint content from the ELI website can also be obtained by contacting customer service at email@example.com.
The information provided in this website is for general guidance only. This information is not intended to constitute legal advice and you should use it at your own risk. ELI accepts no responsibility or liability for damages arising from use of this information.
Terms and Conditions of Use
1.1. These terms and conditions ("the Terms and Conditions") are binding on all persons who access the www.eli.org website ("the Website") without qualification or exception. By entering the Website, the person accessing the Website ("the User") agrees to be bound by and shall be deemed to have accepted these Terms and Conditions, which the User acknowledges to have read and understood. If the User does not agree to any of the Terms and Conditions, the User may not enter, view, or make use of the Website.
1.2. ELI may from time to time amend these Terms and Conditions without notice to the User. The User's continued use of this Website shall constitute the User's agreement to the amended Terms and Conditions.
The Website is owned by ELI and the User acknowledges that ELI or its licensors are the proprietors of all intellectual property subsisting in, pertaining to, or used on the Website, including, without limitation, copyright, trademarks, patents, inventions, goodwill, and trade secrets ("the Intellectual Property").
3.1. Subject to the exceptions listed in the Copyright Notice above, the User may not, without ELI’s written prior consent, use, reproduce, adapt, distribute, publish or in any other way deal or interfere with the Website's contents.
3.2. Access to this Website is made available for information purposes only. No content, information, statement, or opinion on this Website should be construed as legal advice. The User should consult an attorney if he or she seeks legal advice.
3.3. ELI reserves the right to make any changes to the Website and its content and/or services offered through the Website at any time and without notice.
3.4. The Website may contain links to other websites, including links to purchase or complete a purchase through third-party sites. ELI has no control over such websites, does not review their content, and is not liable for their content or accuracy. The User accesses such websites at the User's own risk and discretion.
No Warranties or Liabilities
4.1. ELI makes no warranties, whether express or implied, with regard to the Website or its contents, accuracy, or availability. ELI does not warrant that the Website or any files that may be downloaded from it are free of viruses, worms, Trojan horses, or any other code that has malicious, contaminating, or destructive properties.
4.2. The User assumes all responsibility and risk for his or her use of the Website. ELI shall not be liable for any loss, injury, damage, cost, penalty, or claim resulting from use of the Website, whether direct or indirect, and whether or not ELI has been advised of or has knowledge of the possibility of such loss, injury, damage, cost, penalty, or claim.
4.3. The User hereby indemnifies and holds harmless ELI and its officers, directors, employees, and agents against any and all liability, loss, damage, penalty, cost, or claim of whatsoever nature suffered by any third party, in relation to any act or omission by the User in relation to the Website and its use by the User.
- We try to foster networking and exchange, ensure a safe space for members to connect and interact, and protect your privacy.
- ELI is transparent and strives to provide clear notice and choice to you about the types of personal data collected and the purposes for which it is collected, processed, and used.
- We use personal data only for the purposes described at the time of collection or for additional compatible purposes in accordance with law.
- We take reasonable steps to ensure that personal data is accurate, complete, and current and we only collect personal data which is relevant and limited to what is necessary for the purposes for which it is collected.
- We will keep personal data for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which it was collected and then we will securely delete or destroy it.
- To protect personal data against unauthorized use or disclosure we implement strong information security controls.
- We provide you with reasonable access along with the ability to review, correct, amend, or delete the personal data you have shared with us.
Types of Data We Collect
We collect information (whether online, by phone, or by paper) that enables ELI to identify or contact you (“Personal Data”) to carry out its business purposes. We collect this information for a variety of business reasons, including but not limited to, applying for membership, registering for an ELI event or program, purchasing ELI products or services, or otherwise interacting with ELI. The types of Personal Data we collect include, but are not limited to:
- General data (e.g., names, dates of birth, home and business addresses, email addresses, Internet protocol addresses and mobile/landline business/personal telephone numbers that are provided by our members/customers)
- Other identification information (e.g., photographs)
- Financial information (e.g., credit and debit card numbers, credit reports, passwords and PIN numbers) for product sales or employment purposes
- Sensitive Personal Data (e.g., racial or ethnic origin, sexual orientation and disability data) for diversity or accessibility purposes
We collect information (whether online, by phone, or by paper) that does not directly identify you as you interact with our Sites (“Non-Personal Data”). The types of Non-Personal Data we collect includes, but is not limited to:
- Site usage (e.g., browsing history, search terms, number of clicks, referring/exit pages, date/time stamp, time on Site)
- Products and services viewed
- Computer type, operating system and platform type
- Internet service provider
How We Use Your Data
In addition to the uses described above, we use your Personal Data, sometimes combined with Non-Personal Data, in a variety of ways including, but not limited to, the below:
- Identify you when you visit our sites
- Provide service communications such as bill reminders, order confirmations, program registrations and customer service messages
- Provide products, information and services you request or that we think you may be interested in
- Respond to your emails or online requests for products, services, or information
- Personalize and improve the usability of the Sites
- Fulfill and/or deliver ELI products and services
- ELI Membership Directory
We use Non-Personal Data to improve the usability of our Sites and for other business reasons. We do not provide Personal Data to third parties with whom we share your Non-Personal Data. Please note that, when you select an advertising link or other link that takes you to sites not operated by ELI, you may be subject to the privacy policies of these third-party sites.
Personal Data Related to ELI Membership
For members of ELI, we collect only the personal information you provide at sign-up and that which you choose to display publicly on your profile page in the Membership Directory. You have control over whether you wish to be included in the Membership Directory. To make changes, please refer to “Contact Us” below.
The weekly “This Week at ELI” email is sent to all members of ELI via Outlook’s email platform without seeing, sharing, or displaying your email address. Occasionally, we send out other messages to all members, when it refers to special events or announcements. You can unsubscribe at any time for any reason.
Your email address is never publicly displayed unless you post them yourself or request it, for example, in an announcement or job posting. Your email address and other contact information may be displayed in the Membership Directory (available to other members) only if you indicate that it should be displayed there, and it is your decision how much information you want to make available in the Membership Directory. The information in the Membership Directory, including any information that you have decided to share, is available only to other members of ELI. If you choose to not disclose your email address and other information, the only people that have access to it are with ELI. ELI will only access your email if it needs to contact you on matters related to the organization. Please refer to “Contact Us” if you wish to make changes to your listing in the Membership Directory.
How We Share Your Data
ELI does not sell or rent email addresses to anyone outside ELI, but we may share email addresses with third parties as necessary for ELI to perform certain services on our behalf, such as packaging, mailing, and delivering products and processing event registrations and to respond to your service requests. We may also share email addresses with entities for which we are co-sponsoring events.
If you have any questions regarding your personal data, please refer to “Contact Us” below.
How You Can Manage Your Data
You can manage your profile and email preferences, including “opting out” of email by contacting us using the information in the “Contact Information” section below.
Our processing of your data is based upon your consent, contract performance (e.g., your purchase of products or membership sign-up/renewal), legitimate business interest (e.g., direct marketing of goods and services), or compliance with law. You have the right to object to our processing of your data or to restrict our processing of your data. In addition, if you have consented to the processing of your Personal Data, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time.
California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident, California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits you to request information regarding the disclosure of your personal information by ELI to its affiliates and/or third parties for their direct marketing purposes. If you would like to receive this information, please refer to “Contact Us” below.
ELI does not knowingly collect information from children, and does not target its website or services to children.
How We Protect Personal Data
Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet or electronic storage is fully secure. Accordingly, and despite our reasonable efforts to protect your Personal Data from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure, ELI cannot guarantee or warrant the security of the Personal Data you transmit to us, or to or from our online Sites.
User ID and Password
Certain areas of the Sites require the use of a user ID, email address, or password as an additional security measure that helps protect your Personal Data. To help you protect your privacy, these Sites have tools to help you log in and log out.
Linking to Other Internet Sites
How You Can Access, Change and Delete Your Personal Data
Cookies and Other Web Devices
Transmission of Data to Other Countries
Your Personal Data is processed in the United States, where privacy laws may be less stringent than the laws in your country and where the government, courts, or law enforcement may be able to access your data. By submitting your Personal Data to us, you agree to the transfer, storage and processing of your Personal Data in the United States.
Right to Complain to Supervisory Authority
You, as the data subject, have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority, in particular in the Member State of your habitual residence, place of work, or place of the alleged infringement, if you believe that the processing of your personal data does not comply with legal requirements.
In the event we determine the occurrence of a data security incident, we will notify you by email, US mail, telephone, or other means as permitted by law.
If you have questions, comments, or complaints concerning our privacy practices or if you wish to change, access, or remove your Personal Data, please contact us as indicated below. We will attempt, where practical, to respond to your requests and to provide you with additional privacy related information.
Environmental Law Institute
1730 M Street, NW, Suite 700
Washington, DC 20036
What are cookies, and why do we use them?
Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer or mobile device, through your browser, by the websites that you visit. These text files can be read by these websites, through the browser, and help to identify you when you return to a website. Cookies do not run programs or deliver viruses to your computer.
Some cookies are set by ELI, and some are set by third parties. The cookies that third parties set can recognize the device you use to visit our Site as well as when you visit other websites. Cookies are used to make the Site work properly, help make the user experience more efficient, and to track metrics to help us improve our Site and the information we provide.
What cookies are set on ELI’s Sites?
Most of the cookies set during your visit to the Site come from third-party companies that we use to monitor and improve the user’s experience. We also set a small number of cookies to ensure the website platform functions properly and securely. Cookies fall into the following categories:
- Necessary Cookies: There are cookies that are essential to use the Site, like securely authenticating users when they log into the Site or when a donation is made online to support our work.
- Functionality Cookies: These cookies help us create a better user experience by enabling personalization and engagement, such as displaying certain popup notifications one-time only. See the below Social Media Plug-Ins section for more information about similar technologies used for this purpose.
- Analytics/Performance Cookies: These cookies allow us to monitor our Site’s performance. We use them to understand how people use our Site so that we can continue to improve the Site and your experience when you visit.
- Third-Party Cookies: These cookies are set by external services, such as YouTube, when you visit a page on our Site containing a video or other resource embedded from that third-party service
How can I disable or delete cookies?
You can control cookies and other types of automatic data collection and storage through your browser and/or mobile device settings. Please check your software or device manufacturer’s instructions to learn more about your options. Learn how to disable or enable cookies for Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, or Microsoft Internet Explorer or Edge.
What other similar technologies do we use?
- Social Media Plug-Ins: To enable people to share our content across social platforms, we may sometimes include social media plug-ins for Facebook©, LinkedIn©, and Twitter©. When you browse a page with a plug-in, it will connect with the social network platform and send information, including which pages you viewed, length of visit, and so forth. If you have an account with one of those social networks, this information can be stored in your account. ELI does not have direct access to information stored in your social media account.
- Google Analytics©: These services are provided by Google, Inc., and require a cookie to run. The information generated by this cookie (including your truncated IP address) is transmitted and stored by Google on its servers located in the United States. It allows, in aggregate, us to monitor which Site pages are visited, what types of devices are used, how long people stay on the Site, what part of the country people visit the Site from, and so forth. Because Google only receives the truncated IP address, it can approximately identify your country and state location, but it cannot identify you, your computer or mobile device, individually. Learn how you can opt out of Google Analytics.
- Email Tracking: In emails, we include tracking cookies. These lets us know whether or not you opened the email. We include unsubscribe options in all emails we send. You can also unsubscribe from our emails at any time by contacting us by mail, phone, or email:
Environmental Law Institute
1730 M Street, NW, Suite 700
Washington, DC 20036
These Terms and Conditions and the User's use of the Website shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of Washington, D.C. The User irrevocably and unconditionally consents to the jurisdiction of the courts of Washington, D.C., in regard to all matters arising from these Terms and Conditions or the User's use of the Website.