Each summer, ELI convenes a complimentary seminar series that offers an introduction to the legal and policy foundations of environmental protection in the United States.
ELI's Summer School is a series of seminars taught by experts in their fields, introducing the audience to the major environmental statutes, including the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), Clean Air Act (CAA), Clean Water Act (CWA), Endangered Species Act (ESA), Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA), Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), and Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA); land use law; and environmental justice. Faculty will also incorporate major regulatory and judicial updates to the laws.
Who will benefit: All are welcome. Students and emerging professionals will have unique opportunities to learn, hear updates, ask questions, and network. The series is intended for:
- law students and graduate students, and
- working professionals new to or looking for a refresher course in environmental law (such as interns, summer clerks, and associates, or second-career professionals).
Law & Policy of Products Regulation
The lifecycle of industrial, agricultural, and antimicrobial chemical products, especially those embedded in consumer products, has gained increased public attention. Regulators are looking at the entire product lifecycle, including post-discard of a product at the end of its useful life, as well as toxicity data. The expert faculty will explore chemical product regulation matters including risk communication, minimizing legal liability, and evolving policy matters. Additionally, faculty will explore emerging plant-based products and the potential impacts of such sustainable products. Leading experts will:
- examine the regulation of chemicals that are used in industrial products, consumer products, and pesticides
- explore the new governance and stewardship initiatives being considered globally by a wide variety of stakeholders to diminish the potential for adverse effects from chemicals
- investigate innovative packaging and sustainability efforts
- look ahead to the future of products regulation.
Chandler Randol, Manager of Educational Programs, Environmental Law Institute, Moderator
Lynn L. Bergeson, Managing Partner, Bergeson & Campbell P.C.
Alexandra Dapolito Dunn, Partner, Baker Botts LLP
Angela Howe, Legal Director, Surfrider Foundation
**See the entire Summer School 2021 schedule HERE.**