The In-Lieu Fee Mitigation Training Webinar Series was designed to help states, tribes, and local governments; conservation organizations; and other interested groups develop or refine rigorous in-lieu-fee programs that yield ecologically effective and sustainable compensatory mitigation. The series of webinars focuses on specific subjects, providing in-depth technical support on the topics of most interest to participants. The topics were chosen with the assistance of an Advisory Committee based on an assessment of the needs of states, tribes, and local governments and conservation organizations seeking approval for or overseeing the approval of statewide or regional in-lieu fee programs.
Under the §404 compensatory mitigation regulations, mitigation providers are required to provide sufficient funding to meet the long-term management needs of the site. For this webinar, Tim Dicintio (National Fish and Wildlife Foundation) discussed the range of long-term financing mechanisms and their relative risks and benefits. Sherry Teresa (EcoLogical Solutions Consulting) discussed how to calculate long-term management costs. Finally, Hal Holland (Westervelt Ecological Services) provided a concrete example of the cost calculation for an actual mitigation project.
- Tim Dicintio, National Fish and Wildlife Foundation
- Sherry Teresa, EcoLogical Solutions Consulting
- Hal Holland, Westervelt Ecological Services
- Tim Dicintio's PowerPoint Presentation
- Sherry Teresa's PowerPoint Presentation
- Hal Holland's Power Point Presentation
- Long-Tem Financing: Federal Policy and Resources
- Long-Term Financing Technical Guide: This is an excerpt from ELI’s 2012 report "Wetland and Stream Mitigation: A Handbook for Land Trusts." Although this report is targeted to land trusts taking on the long-term stewardship of compensatory mitigation sites, there is some valuable information for ILF program sponsors on calculating long-term management costs. The full report is available HERE.
- Article on "Perpetual Stewardship considerations for Compensatory Mitigation and Mitigation Banks"
- Article on "What Happens When a Wetland Mitigation Bank Goes Bankrupt?"
- Article on "The Demise of the Environmental Trust"
Webinar recording of event