Judicial Education Program
Judicial Education in Action: Asia
ELI's judicial education programs in India have addressed environmental law in the context of a rapidly growing population. India has been a leader in the constitutional aspects of environmental law. But that leadership paradoxically led many district judges to assume that, since they had no jurisdiction in constitutional issues, environmental law was not relevant to them. In an ELI programme in Lucknow, several High Court judges told such district court judges clearly that the civil and criminal codes had many environmental provisions that they had a duty to uphold when cases came before them.
- Judicial Enforcement of Environmental Law in Uttar Pradesh (Lucknow, India -- 2003)
- Workshop on Judicial Enforcement of Environmental Law in Karnataka (Bangalore, Karnataka, India -- 2002)
- Environmental Law for Subordinate Judiciary (Bhubaneshwar, Orissa, India -- 2002)
- Mumbai Judges Workshop on Environmental Law and Development Issues (Mumbai, India -- 2000)
- Planning Workshop on Challenges to Environmental Justice Delivery (Bangalore, India -- 1999)